So my first fruit tart didn’t come out as good as I had hoped. Pretty – Yes, tasty – not as much. So here I went again. This time I went for a crust I know I like the pecan, oatmeal, whole wheat pasty flour combo, which I cooked for 10 minutes.
Then I went a little crazy and made the lemon curd from The Conscious Kitchen. I modified the original by not straining the lemon juice, swapping cornstarch for arrowroot (because I was out) and reducing the amount in the recipe.
Vegan Lemon Curd
2 lemons, zested and then juiced
1 cup water
½ cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup soy creamer
- Zest and juice the lemons into a saucepan.
- Add water and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to steep for at least an hour.
- Heat the lemon water and whisk the cornstarch and the soy creamer together.
- When the lemon water begins to steam, just before boiling, add the cornstarch mixture and whisk until it thickens.
The result was a very beautiful, not overly sweet fruit tart. I decided not to mix in the cream cheese because I wanted to see how it tasted. The next one I will mix. I put a layer of apricot preserves on the crust and then poured in the lemon curd. I put this in the fridge to set for several hours. Then I topped with fruit and brushed on a glaze of heated apricot preserves and water. It was really yummy and pretty light and definitely not too sweet.